Monday, March 28, 2022

Quarantine Hobby #1: Watercolor

It's March 2020. I've just heard the news that everything is going to be shut down for "two weeks to slow the spread". (HAH.) On my weekly grocery trip, I decide to cruise the craft aisles at Meijer for anything to help keep the kids occupied - and maybe myself. Stickers? Yes. Crayola ColorWonder books? Throw 'em in the cart. Clearance watercolor kits? I've never tried that before, sure sounds good.

After watching a few YouTube tutorials of how to get started, these were some of my first "pieces". (That's too fine a word for what I do!)


Turns out the paper and brushes you use have a bigger impact on your final outcome than your paints do, so after realizing I like painting with watercolors (and that the paper and brushes that came with the paints were crap), I invested $15 in a good brush, and bought some slightly better watercolor paper at Hobby Lobby.

Here's my next set. I decided to make bookmarks because it's a small, unintimidating canvas. (Plus I got to use my laminator! So fun!)


When shopping for watercolor paper, I had picked up a 4x6 pad of the same paper, so I tried making notecards.


Turns out, I really like this! (And they make great gifts.) (Although I now prefer to work on 12x12 paper and cut it down to size - I can get 6 cards and 2 bookmarks from a page that size and it's more cost-effective.)

I even got conscripted to make some bookmarks for my cousin's wedding favors!



Mostly, I just have fun browsing Pinterest for fun ideas and then trying them out. I've recently discovered using skinny washi tape as a resist method. (So many fun ideas with that!)


I really enjoy painting with watercolors. I will most likely never be up to painting anything realistic looking, and I don't even know that I want to, but it's very relaxing to just play with the paint!

Love and Washi Tape,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment