Monday, April 25, 2022

Halloween 2020

 Have you read any of The Princess in Black books by Shannon Hale?

If you haven't, I cannot recommend them highly enough. While they are technically aimed at elementary-aged readers, they are great books for everyone. (I started reading them before I even had kids.)

For Halloween (in 2020, yep, that long ago), Jo really wanted to be the Princess in Black, so it was only natural to dress Micah as her fellow superhero, the Goat Avenger!


Jo's costume consisted of: 
- black rain boots, black leggings, and black gloves (already had)
- black skirt (bought for the occasion)
- black shirt (bought for this, then painted with the magnolia flower)
- a black cape (I was going to make one, but then Dollar Tree had them and that's way easier)
- a black mask (I sewed hers from 2 layers of felt and a strip of elastic)
- and a sparkly tiara (found one on Amazon for $5, the Dollar Tree ones seem to be meant for doll heads).


Micah's costume was actually more complicated, although the result is still simplified from the Goat Avenger's costume in the books. I chose a yellow shirt and jeans that he already had, and just had him wear his sneakers instead of boots (his current rain boots have cherries on them). We skipped the suspenders, gloves, and staff. And the rest I made.

The mask is from the same basic pattern as Jo's (a pattern I made by drawing a rough shape on paper, pressing it on Jo's face, then making changes, pressing it to her face again, etc. until she was sick of it.) just in brown.

Rather than sew in burlap, I chose a basic brown knit for the rest of the accessories. The cape is very basic - I just traced Jo's. The belt - which is not super visible in any of these pictures - is just a doubled over strip of the same brown knit, with little cow bells (goat bells, really) stitched to it - fastened with hook-and-loop. It was super adorable for that night, and was immediately hidden the next day because that's annoying.

His hat was the hardest part and definitely the part I'm proudest of. I had to find a way to insert both goat ears and horns, and while Micah's goat ears stick out sideways more than the Goat Avenger's, I still think it looks pretty cute.



Jo's ninja moves are so fast they're just a blur.


"BEHAVE, BEAST!"


Love and Goats,
LeahJoy

No comments:

Post a Comment