Monday, February 25, 2013

The Monday Rant: Curtain Length

I have never been swayed by trends.  If I don't like what is "in", I don't wear it, buy it, use it, whatever.  If I do, well, the good news is I'll more likely be able to find exactly what I want.

Like stretch pants.  Why did we all wear those in elementary school?  I don't know, but I liked them, so I wore them.  And scrunchies.  And windbreakers.  And windbreaker pants.  And bandanna scarves.

But I never really got into the poofy vest phase.  Or the low rise jeans phase (pretty sure that one is still in).  Or ripped/distressed jeans.  Or belly shirts or belly button piercing.  Or those plastic/rubbery bracelets (Livestrong, etc.).  Or sweatpants with words on the butt.  Or Uggs.  Or tube tops.  Or peasant shirts.

Lately, my trend-radar has switched from fashion (haha, just kidding, I never really pay attention to that, except in hindsight or to make fun of it) to home fashion.  Now that we've been living here for about two months, I'm to the point where I'm starting to figure out how I want to decorate my home.  One of my big inner debates is window treatments.  I've already decided that I want curtains, at least in most rooms.  But then there are a thousand options just in that category!

I've never had to buy/make curtains before, so I've never thought about what styles I like or don't like, but suddenly I have a dozen windows begging for curtains!  And I have half as many very reasonable questions:

Long or short curtains?
Or even cafe style?
Curtain rod on outside of window, or tension rod inside window frame?
Tab curtains, rod-pocket curtains, grommet curtains, clip-and-ring curtains?
Sheer fabric or regular?
Thermal lining or affordable?

And the way my brain works, I need to see pictures to know what I want.  I got on Google images and Pinterest and did some searching for short curtains.  Try that and see how well it works for you.  There are very few images!  I even found a few websites ranting against the usage of short curtains in any situation.  Like the use of short curtains will mark you as a safe house for the Antichrist or something.

But let me tell you, under every single window in my house, there is either a heating vent, a cold air return, a sink, a couch, a table, a desk, or a towel rack.  I very quickly realized that long curtains are not an option for any window in my house.  They're simply not practical.  Besides, many of our windows have crown molding underneath them and I want that to show because it's so beautiful!

And so I want to know why people hate on short curtains so much!  I think they can look really great.  Even in that article, all the example pictures the author was bashing - I thought they looked great!  I mean, look at this:



You're telling me that's not cute or fashionable?

The bottom line is this: I don't give a flying fart in space about what is or is not fashionable.  I like what I like, and there's no sense in having something in my house that I don't like just because "they" tell me it's trendy.  Trends and fashion come and go.  And sure, my style can and will change, too, but I'd rather change my curtains because I want to, not because I feel pressured by the Pinterest gods.

Now I just have to learn how to sew, because I'm pretty sure I won't find the curtains I want anywhere.

Love and Paisley,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment