Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Opinions

In our culture, you can have any opinion you want. If you want to share it, though, it had better be politically correct and nice.

For example, if you are in a choir, and people are auditioning for solos, you have to tell them "Good job" even if they suck. It's not appropriate to say, "If you still can't sing well at this point in your life, you should really switch to a different major." You can't even plug your ears.

Our culture is one of "You can be whatever you want to be" - but that's not true! I can't be a football player, even if I really want to, because I am female, and too small. I can't be a doctor, even if I really want to, because my brain just doesn't work that way. I can't be a pastor, even if I really want to, because I have not been called to teach.

When we tell our kids they can be whatever they want to be, we (hopefully) only mean that we're not going to pressure them into the family business or being a doctor/lawyer or whatever. And adding "within reason" to our sweet phrase just seems odd. But maybe we should.

You can be whatever you want to be - within reason. And as long as you have the right mind/body type. And the talent or call. And the passion.

Pffft. Like anyone would say that to their kid.

Love and Logic?,
Leah Joy

1 comment:

  1. And we give kids participation trophies, because everyone is a winner!!

    You're right. There is a fine line between encouraging and building up a person, and flat out lying to avoid hurting someone's feelings.

    ReplyDelete