Thursday, June 16, 2011

I Guess I'm Getting Old

I must be old now because I keep complaining about kids these days. Ridiculous, I know.

But here's a thought.

When email first came out, I remember being so amazed. What? We can send a letter to someone and it doesn't cost anything?? We don't have to use a stamp?? It's free??? I was astounded. I couldn't believe it. And while I have gotten used to email, there's still something wonderful about opening a real, tangible letter or package.

And kids these days know that. They like getting things snail mail, too. Except to them it's a novelty. What? You can send real, physical things to people?

But here's the catch. Kids these days think that because email is free, so is snail mail. Some girls I know (who are not related to me, for the record) tried to mail a package back on forth on the same few already-used stamps, and with an arrow drawn between the addresses so the postal worker would know to switch them. They were astonished when it came back with insufficient postage on it.

That astounds me. And just reminds me of how kids take a lot of things for granted that we didn't when I was a kid. And that I probably take a lot of things for granted that my parents didn't.

That's all.

Lousy Kids and Their Email.

Love,
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment