Friday, May 14, 2010

Salvation Army

So, I've been working at Salvation Army. Okay, I've only had three shifts, for a total of 14 hours, but I've already got two good stories. Actually... they are both from today.

So here goes:

Today, I was putting clothes out, and I had a few children's shirts to put out, so I walked to the back of the store, by the dressing rooms. Recently, all the children's wear was moved to the back of the store - but it used to be at the front. Two kids were waiting for their mom, who was in the dressing rooms. As I began putting the shirts in their correct locations, one of the kids asked me, "Do you work here?"
"Yes, I do."
"Why did you move all the kids' clothes back here?"
"Well, I didn't really get to pick where we put them. You don't like them back here?"
"NO! (Both of them agreed very emphatically on this point) The toys are at the front!"
The other kid then added, "Yeah! We can't play with the toys while our mom picks out our clothes!"
And the first kid said, "And we have to wait until the END of the store to get clothes!"
"That is frustrating," I said.
At this point, a small voice from behind the dressing room door said, "You're talkin' to a grown-up!"
"SHUT UP!" yelled one of my new friends.
Then a little curly head popped out from under the dressing room door, "Mom said 'NO TALKIN' TO GROWN-UPS!'"
At this point, I assured them that I wasn't really a grown-up since I'm only 20 years old. "Besides, I work here."
"Yeah!" Said one of my little friends, "Besides, MOM'S a grown-up and we talk to HER!"

I love kids.

Other story:

We play 100.3 "The River" in the store. It's the best of the oldies, some new songs... basically the songs to which EVERYONE knows the words. Today, a woman was walking through our store and said, "This music makes me feel like bowling." At least... that's what I thought she said. And it made perfect sense in my head. At the bowling alley, they always play this kind of music... you know... songs everyone knows? So I laughed. "That's a great way to put it!" I said. ... She had an accent. She actually said, "This music makes me feel like bawling." Like, crying? And she just broke up with someone.

Crap.

Oh well. She didn't seem too upset.

Love and Liquidation,
LeahJoy

No comments:

Post a Comment