Wednesday, October 7, 2015

New Favorite Cupcakes

Apple Cider Cupcakes with Nutmeg Frosting.  Yep.  I found this recipe (guess where! guess where!) several months ago and knew I had to make them this fall.  So I did. (Wow, cool story, bro.)

Regardless of my story-telling abilities, these cupcakes are amazing.


Cake and frosting should taste like what it is.  That sounds obvious, but I can't tell you how many times I've tried a recipe for a raspberry cake (for example) that didn't taste anything at all like raspberries.  For my bakery, I only have flavors on my menu that I know pack a punch.  There is no doubt about the flavor when you bite into a lemon cupcake (or when you even just smell it).  Sometimes, I don't even want to try new cake recipes because I'm afraid they won't have strong enough flavors.  I'm so glad I tried this recipe, because man, do they pack a delicious, fall-flavored punch!


The cupcakes themselves smelled like doughnuts when I took them out of the oven, which was a good sign.  I tried one without the frosting and loved it so much; the apple cider flavor was so strong.  The buttercream, however, helped bring out the spices in the cake even more.  The cake and frosting flavors complemented each other perfectly.  I know I sound like a snobby gourmet right now, but these cupcakes really are that amazing.


I did stray from her recipe in two ways.  First of all, she gave instructions to add vanilla to the batter, but not an amount, so I added 1 tsp (well, actually 2, but that's because I doubled the recipe).  This guess seems to have worked out just fine. Secondly, I edited the buttercream by adding milk, more powdered sugar, and more nutmeg.  I needed it to stretch to 24 cupcakes, but I didn't want to add more butter.  (2 sticks of butter in frosting really should cover 24 cupcakes easily.)  Again, this worked very well and the frosting was delicious.

These are definitely a seasonal item, but a recipe to which I will return every fall!

Love and Cloves,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment