Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Deals on Baby Stuff

I don't really know what else to call this post.  I just really want to share some good deals I scored. :)

First of all, I was actually considering shelling out $40-50 on a nice diaper bag.  (*gasp*)  I figured that it would actually be worth it, since I would be carrying it for a while.  I should have something I liked and it would need to be sturdy.  However, I decided to look at thrift stores and our local baby/maternity consignment shop first.  And am I ever glad I did!  I found a JJ Cole diaper bag in near pristine condition at Goodwill for $4.  FOUR DOLLARS.  This thing retailed at $60!  All of the zippers still worked and it even came with a matching travel changing mat.  (And the pattern is called 'Midnight Dahlia', so that's perfect.)  The only thing wrong with it was that it was missing its long strap.  I figured if I couldn't find a strap elsewhere, I could buy a replacement strap for under $10 online, and we'd still have a really nice diaper bag for super cheap, but I actually found a strap with clips (score!) on a bag we had in our basement but weren't using.  FOUR DOLLARS, people.


For the record, the bag says to wipe it clean, but since I got it at a thrift store, I wanted to actually wash it.  I did a little research online and found where someone else said they just washed it on a gentle cycle with a few towels, put it in the dryer on No-Heat Fluff for 15 minutes, and then let it air dry.  I did exactly that (although my washer doesn't have a gentle cycle) and it turned out fine.

Next, I knew I'd probably want at least one nursing cover, but I also wanted something cute.  Or at least something I wouldn't completely hate.  But it also needed to be practical/functional.   And I've gotta say, those ones that look like an apron (without ties) don't look super practical or cute to me.  Instead, I found this pattern on Pinterest:


Go there if you want a tutorial.  :)  I don't have any word yet on whether or not this is as functional for me as it is cute, but I ended up making two because the first one turned out so darn cute and nice!


The second one is made from the grey/white striped fabric at the bottom of this stack:


What I love about this 'pattern' is that it's so inexpensive ($3-$5 for a yard of knit fabric) and SO easy (match sides and sew one seam - no hemming!).  I've seen a similar product in the store for $20.  It's so much cheaper (and super easy) to make your own, and you can have any pattern you can find at the fabric store!  (I kind of love stripes, apparently.  And grey.)

And, even if I should find that they're not practical as nursing covers, they're still cute scarves!

Love and Pins,
Leah Joy

***Update 3/9/2016 - I have been using these nursing covers and they work great!  The fabric is very breathable for Baby, but not sheer, so I'm not exposed.  Also, because the fabric is so stretchy, if Baby is being fussy, I can join her underneath the cover to help her, and we're still all covered.  If that weren't enough reasons to make these, they also wash up very easily, are super soft, and make great scarves!***

No comments:

Post a Comment