Friday, November 18, 2016

Gilmore girls, Feminism, and Pop-Tarts

I'm back with more Gilmore girls talk!  The biggest questions on many fans minds seem to revolve around Lorelai and Rory's romantic relationships and whether or not either of them is pregnant.  For a feminist show, I find this a little demeaning, honestly. Aren't women supposed to be more than boys and babies?  Lorelai has her own business, Sookie is an amazing chef, Emily can throw a mean party, Rory can write an amazing article about anything, Lane is a rockin' drummer, and Paris could be an unstoppable lawyer (judge) or doctor (surgeon). Alexis Bledel, who plays Rory Gilmore said it best, "I think it’s kind of interesting that that’s what people are excited about. There is so much more to her character. It’s great when people focus on her ambition and her accomplishments."

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with boys and babies. Much of my life is my husband and my baby, and I love that! I have no regrets about not being the rock star I dreamed of being in high school and college. But being a wife and a mother is not all I am. I am also a daughter, a sister, a granddaughter, a niece, an aunt, and a friend. I am a baker, a reader, a crafter, and - occasionally - a blogger.

I get why we focus on romance and pregnancy. TV shows today have to be dramatic and exciting to keep our attention. Since Gilmore girls isn't a crime show or anything, the only other things the general public finds enthralling are big dramatic moments, like hook-ups, break-ups, and people getting knocked up. But honestly, I find just watching the girls do life enthralling. Sure, I want to know if Rory ends up with Jess or Logan or someone else or no one, but I also want to know about her career, her friendships, her achievements, and her aspirations.

One of my favorite things about Gilmore girls is watching the women interact with each other. There aren't a lot of shows or movies that just show women doing life together. Gilmore girls shows friends, mothers, daughters, and granddaughters having real relationships: some great, some unhealthy, some in-between, but all real. I don't want to watch a show with lots of drama, because that's not what my life is like. I enjoy watching something relatable, and that's what Gilmore girls delivers.

And just a reminder to everyone, Lorelai will be pushing 50, so while it is possible she could be pregnant, it is highly unlikely and so can we just stop already?

Also, Gilmore girls posted a picture on their Instagram of a plate of Pop-Tarts with an apple, which has many people freaking out that someone might be pregnant (because Lorelai only craved fruit when she was pregnant), but this is the exact same 'appetizer' Lorelai made for Rory, Paris, Louise, and Madeline in Season 1, so can we just stop already? :)

From Season 1: Episode 13
Love and Apples,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment