Monday, April 15, 2019

Tot School

If you're not already familiar with the idea of Tot School, let me fill you in. It's like pre-pre-school. It's not about trying to teach kids things too early, but it is about having a focused learning time each day (or, more realistically, once every week or so). I don't force anything, and the point is having fun.

(If you're interested in more information, just look it up on Pinterest. There are TONS of ideas for activities!)

I started with the idea of colors, so for several weeks, we picked a color (in rainbow order, of course), and talked all about that color all week.

Red Day (She didn't own any red shirts)
Each day, we'd wear that color (if we had clothes that color) and fill a bin with pom poms, buttons, letter beads, and toys we found around the house.


Jo and I would get out her shopping cart and go 'shopping' around the house for the appropriately colored items.




At some point, I started digging scraps of fabric out of my scrap bin for an added element of play.


We also did Pink Day, Black and White Day, and Rainbow Day (which I unfortunately forgot to get a picture of). 



We've done other themes, too. Here are a few other pictures of some activities:


This was Number Day. She was supposed to string the matching number of beads onto each pipe cleaner, but she got pretty bored with that, so instead we just strung beads.


Ocean Day: Play-Doh + fish cookie cutter + googly eyes (Dollar Tree) + rhinestones (garage sale find) = Rainbow Fish!


Also Ocean Day: Water, bubble bath, cups/bowls/scoopers, and some plastic ocean creatures


Snow Day: This was a huge win. "Snow" is made with baking soda, water, and a little glitter. She played with this for HOURS.


Also Snow Day: I punched 1" circles out of plain paper and we pretended to write with 'snowballs'. You may not be able to tell, but hers says. "I love you, Mommy."


Unicorn Day! I made unicorn headbands for us to wear, but Jo refused to be photographed wearing one.

Micah, however, couldn't stop me.


Sorry, kid. (Sort of.)

I've been enjoying doing Tot School. It's good practice for preschool, plus Jo is learning good skills (sorting, cutting, drawing, etc.). And I get to do a bit of crafts in getting everything ready.

Love and Felt,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment