Thursday, September 22, 2011

I'm Married

I know it's been two months, but this time I'm not going to apologize profusely. Just maybe a little bit. Because I've been really busy.

So today, I'm going to blog about wedding presents and some hints and helps for gift-givers. I'll try not to be too specific in my constructive criticisms, although the four people who may actually read this wouldn't be included in that anyway. And I guess I shouldn't say 'criticicms' because that makes me sound really really spoiled, but there is such a thing as a tacky gift.

First of all, if you are giving one of those framed Bible verse things to people, make sure that the quote is actually from the Bible. What's that you say? Oh, it has a reference? Still check. Because I bet that's not what Genesis 2:18 actually says.

However, in the same vein, I should say that we got a really cute one that says, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." And it's not gaudy or tacky. It's really classy and we love it.

Secondly, before you buy a picture frame or photo album for a couple, ask yourself this question: Are these the types of people to enjoy having a lot of picture frames all over their walls? If you're not sure, go ahead and get them one frame. Because believe me, 4 in 1 gift was a bit overkill. And we got so many of them!

Again, we did get some really cute ones, including one that holds 6 pictures and it says, "Faith, Hope, and Love."

Something that made us laugh, but is really unfortunately unavoidable for the gift-giver, is how many duplicate cards we received. There was actually one card that we received 4 or 5 different copies of! I guess you can avoid this by making a card, but wedding cards are so cute and so hard to make! (Unless you're my Auntie Rachel or her girls, because they made the world's cutest cards.)

Another good thing to consider is any allergies. For example, if you want to make an afghan for the couple, and you have a cat, please consider whether or not they are allergic. Because the new husband may just have to rush a certain bag from the room so the new wife can breathe. (I still have to wash that, too. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful blanket.)

At this point, I realize I sound like a completely cynical, spoiled brat. So let me tell you about some of the wonderful things we received.

My aunt and uncle in Texas bought us a KitchenAid mixer. I was raised with a stand mixer in the house, but Caleb wasn't and thinks I'm kind of a wuss for wanting one so badly. But I made cookies here the other day before we got the mixer and it took so much longer and was so much messier! I'm so so so grateful to them! I hardly dared hope that someone would buy it for us.

One friend bought us the down comforter for which we were registered. This was another thing we didn't really think anyone would get us, or that maybe it would be a group gift. It's really nice!

My brother bought us a blender that is not only really nice, but it looks like it might go into orbit at any moment. :)

And something I wasn't expecting to love as much as I am is all of our cute towels. We have a towel rack right above the sink (where many people have a window) and I greatly enjoy the aesthetic beauty of an attractive towel. My favorite so far is the bird towel that I think Auntie Rachel got us. Our kitchen is an orangey-red and the blue and green of the towel shows up so brightly. I know it's just a little thing, but it's so cozy and homey.

I guess that's all for now. I'm going to go figure out how to wash the cat dander out of this afghan.

Love and Gratitude,
Leah Joy

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to read what you've been up to. I've missed you here! And, I'm glad to know you like the bird towel - it is such a cheerful little thing!

    I bought a cute quilt at a garage sale once that was covered with cat hair. I washed it a couple of times, but that still didn't remove all the offending dander. I enlisted the help of a non-allergic person (Auntie Theresa) and we laid it out on a sheet, outside. Then she used a lint roller, the kind with the disposable sticky sheets, and rolled the whole thing, front and back, twice! That did the trick for us; hope you have success too!
    Love,
    AR

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple rounds in the washing machine cured ours! It helps that the cat owner just made the afghan, and didn't own it for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete