Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Tasty Thursday

Okay, I think it's ridiculous when people do things like "Thrifty Tuesday" when it'd be just as easy to do "Thrifty Thursday" and then you'd actually have the same beginning sound. So you might ask why I'm doing a "Tasty Thursday" and not a "Tasty Tuesday". Good question. I asked myself the same thing. However, "YouTube Tuesday" has more ring to it than "YouTube Thursday" so I decided to just go with Thursday for the Tasty thing.

I thought about doing a Thrifty Thursday instead of a Tasty Thursday, but I think you'd get bored of hearing about our extreme couponing after a few weeks. (We got 4 free packets of taco seasoning this week! And a box of cookies for 54 cents!)

So, I bring you Tasty Thursday, where I review a good recipe I've tried. The rules are that it has to be good (or at least, I have to think so) and I have to have actually made it. And it has to be a recipe.

Today, I'm reviewing Orange Meringue Pie, which is actually something I made quite some time ago, but it is tasty. You hear a lot about Lemon Meringue pie and Key Lime pie (which is sort of a Meringue...not really), but you don't hear about Orange Meringue. But it's good!

Here's the recipe:

Orange Meringue Pie:

Filling:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 and 1/2 cups orange juice
3 egg yolks - beaten
1 T butter

Meringue:
3 egg whites
6 T sugar

and 1 Pastry Shell

Combine sugar, cornstarch, and orange juice until smooth. Boil, cook, and stir for 2 minutes (until thick). Reduce heat - cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in egg yolks. Bring to gentle boil - cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in butter and keep warm.

Beat egg whites until foamy. Beat in sugar 1 T at a time until holds stiff peaks.

Pour filling into shell, spread meringue over top.

Bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees (peaks should be just golden brown). Cool for 1 hour on a wire rack and then for 3 hours in the fridge.

===end recipe===

Pretty easy. A lot of cooking and stirring for 2 minutes, but not too difficult, really.

A few hints and tips from Leah (actually just one): actually let it cool. My family was so excited to eat it that it only cooled for about 30 minutes on a wire rack and then another 45 min-1hr in the fridge. The pie was still a little warm, then, which was kind of weird, and the sugar beaded up and made drops on top of the meringue. It was pretty, but not what it's supposed to do!

Enjoy!

Love and Meringue,
LeahJoy

No comments:

Post a Comment