Friday, January 13, 2012

Cloud-Ventures

Do you have any idea how few cloud patterns are out there?


Not a lot.


If you want to make a flower, your possibilities are endless.


But clouds? No.


Here are my cloud-ventures, followed by a pattern for a good cloud.


When I first started to crochet things other than squares, I tried this cloud pattern.


I used too big of a hook and didn't really know what I was doing, so the top cloud in this picture is what I made. In early December, I tried again and made the one on the bottom. Clearly much better, but not quite what I wanted.



So I looked for other patterns. I found some suggestions to make an oval and then shell along the edge. So I tried making my own version like that. Not great.


Then I found a pattern for a tiny doll's bed with a cloud pillow and I tried that. Terrible.


So I had these clouds: the better version of the rain cloud, the awful doll pillow, and my own version.



Oh, and then I found a pattern that said it made a cloud, and I ended up with this:



There must be a better way! I cried in my thoughts.


So I turned to Pinterest. I finally found one I liked, and guess what. The pattern is in French.


Here's a picture of it:



So cute, right? If only I could read French. The best part is that because crochet instructions are always abbreviated, I can't even pop it into a free translator.


So then I turned to an English-French crochet terminology website and wikipedia. I also had open an online French-to-English dictionary for any non-abbreviated words.


And I made the cloud! I skipped the rain drops below it, because I didn't want those for my scarf, so I also ended up making two more versions: one with double-crochet shells all around, and one with triple-crochet shells all around.



And now I shall translate the pattern for you, so that people who don’t have quite as much time and determination can still make a cute cloud - without the rain drops, though. Translate that yourself.


I've never written a crochet pattern before, but I've read several, so hopefully this will make sense.


US Terminology

Ch = Chain

Sc = Single Crochet

Sl st = slip stitch

Sk = skip

Dc = double crochet


Chain 13 + 1.


Row 1: 13 sc in chain row

Row 2-3: ch 1, 13 sc

Row 4: Sl st, 11 sc, sl st


Now we crochet around the cloud.

Turn the work from the last row.


Sk 2 (the sl st and 1 sc), 5dc in next sc, sk 1, sl st, *sk 1, 5 dc in next sc, sk 1, sl st* Repeat from * to * 2 more times (the last time will be down one side). 13 sc (in other side of chain), sk 1, 5 dc in next stitch, sk 1, sl st. Tie off and weave ends in.


There's a handy diagram in their pattern that shows you exactly what you're doing. All of the symbols are explained on the wikipedia page except for the dot, which means slip stitch.


I added three more 5dc shells on the bottom to make a full cloud. This is very easy to do.

I hope this helps you in your crochet cloud adventures!


Love and Clouds,
Leah Joy

1 comment: