Monday, May 16, 2016

Fun Adventures in Baking

A couple weeks ago, I decided to test my chocolate cake and chocolate frosting recipes with different kinds of cocoa powder, just to make sure I was using the kind I liked best.  I've always used Nestle, mostly because it's the least expensive at our local grocery store, but it also tastes very good to me.  However, I decided to test out my recipe using Hershey's and a Dutch-processed cocoa, instead.

The results?  For the cake, I couldn't really taste much difference, although there was a color difference in the Dutch-processed cocoa cake.  For the frosting, I was surprised to find that Hershey's left a bitter aftertaste.  The Dutch-processed cocoa frosting was still delicious, but I do still prefer Nestle.

While I was experimenting, I decided to try out my new piping tip: the Wilton 1A.  While this is a great tip, and a great technique, I did discover that I should never again use this technique with chocolate frosting, as the results resemble poop a little too closely for my comfort. :)

Cupcakes with Hershey's cocoa

Cupcakes with a Dutch-processed cocoa
Love and Chocolate,
Leah Joy

2 comments:

  1. Lol, that was my first thought - Leah made emoji cupcakes!
    They look very yummy!!

    Love,
    AR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have piped on some eyes to really seal the deal. :)

    ReplyDelete