Monday, April 17, 2017

Another Baby Quilt

So, in February I finally purchased a walking foot for my sewing machine!  And then I found out a distant acquaintance was having a baby, so I latched onto this excuse to test out my new walking foot. :)

Here's the finished quilt:


My goal was to not purchase any new materials for this quilt (other than the batting), and I succeeded. Both the front and back are pieced together from pieces I already had in my fabric stash (or my mom's). Even the binding was leftover fabric from my sister's curtains.


This was also my first time trying chain-piecing. Boy, will I do that again! It made things so much quicker and easier! I was able to keep all my bits in order in their rows. (And I saved at least 5 inches of thread.) :)



I also now know how to make bunting. :)

Earlier this year, I posted about a table runner I made. In that post, I mentioned that I had since found a really great technique for machine binding.  I found this tutorial over at Petit Design Co., and it is brilliant. And so simple, too. It's a two-part tutorial: Part 1 and Part 2. Once you realize how it works, it's so obvious - like, why have we ever been doing this any other way? Look how nicely my corners turned out:


This was the only error in my binding:


Once again, I added a little tag to the back:


It's not very big, but it's perfect for tummy time! And so cute!


Love and Triangles,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment