Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Grumpy Wednesday: Idioms and Annoying Puns

I don't really have anything nice about which to ramble. I thought about several topics, but I woke up on the very wrong side of the bed this morning, and fear this may be more of a rant than a ramble.

Making fun of idioms is, well, fun.

Husband: Oh I'm late! I gotta run!
Me: It might be quicker to drive. *yuk yuk yuk*

Dad: I have a meeting in Wyoming (city, not state). Gotta fly!
Mom: It might be more cost-efficient to drive. *har har har*

Mom: And then I'll toss the kids in the bathtub...
Grandma: Won't that hurt them? You should set them gently. *tee hee*

(Mostly, I see that making fun of people runs in the Prins woman blood.)

When someone says he's going to jump in the shower, we don't actually believe that he'll jump; more likely he'll step. Popping the pan in the oven might be too quick of a movement, and our yummy baked chicken might just end up all over the bottom of the oven, but we don't mean literally popping, do we? We've colored our language with idioms that make it much more delightful and interesting than just setting things in ovens and stepping into the shower. We get to pop, jump, toss, fly, and run!

Which brings me to my next point. When a person's bed is against a wall, technically said person can only get up on one side of the bed. (Which means some people need to turn their bed.) But when someone says, "I got up on the wrong side of the bed," we all know this person means that they are feeling wrong and grumpy today. So can we just make it a rule not to make fun of this idiom? I mean, really, I just told you I'm grumpy and angry, do you really want to mess with me?

In a similar vein, our apartment is getting deep-cleaned today.

Love and Russian Novels,
Leah Joy

P.S. In case you didn't get my last full sentence, I clean when I'm grumpy and angry.

No comments:

Post a Comment