Friday, October 12, 2012

An Unexpected Day Off (In August)

Dear Readers,

I keep a OneNote Notebook for my blog, so that I can write blogs ahead and then copy and paste them in here later.  Sometimes I have so many thoughts swirling around in my head that I can write 6 blog posts at once, but it would be silly to post them all in one day.  

That being said, sometimes I forget about them.  I have one post in there that I wrote in January 2012.  I'm still not sure that one will ever get posted.  This one, however, is the most recent one I have sitting, but it's still rather overdue.  As you'll read below, I wrote this in August.  I was contemplating not posting it simply because it was so old, but I decided to anyway.  I hope you enjoy me being all metaphysical on you again.

=================================================


Today is Friday, August 10.  I may not post this today, but know that this is the last day of summer camp.  And I have had the day off (at least until now).  Last night, around 10pm, the power went out, and by my calculations didn't come back on until between 1 and 2 am.  Which isn't a  very long time, but our internet was still down in the morning, as was the shared network drive.  This meant that I couldn't check email, work on spreadsheets, or update any database.  I couldn't even print.  In fact, the only thing I could do was answer the phone.  So Kevin told me to just go home.

I started out by reading a letter I had just received from my auntie.  I then wrote a response.  (I wasn't sure how long I was going to have, so I chose small projects that I could put down quickly.)  Then I wrapped a gift for a bridal shower I'm attending tomorrow.  I washed the pile of dishes in the sink.  I cleaned up some of the clutter in our kitchen, watched some Olympics, and made a delicious lunch for my husband.  I got to spend some time with Zoe (my favorite 2-year-old); we played hide-and-seek.  I wrote a thank-you card to someone who had written me an encouraging note a month ago.  I read (skimmed) a magazine and tidied up our recycling area.  I rinsed out some soda bottles that had been sitting around for a while.  I picked up the clothes lying by my dresser and put away the towels I had washed last weekend.

No huge projects, but all things that needed to get done.  It is now nearly 4:00 in the afternoon and I have not yet been called in to work.  I know the issues are fixed, but if they don't need me, I'm perfectly content to be down here.

I haven't had a whole day off in a long time.  You might say, "Well, Leah, don't you at least get weekends?"  Sure.  My Sundays involve getting up at 6:00, leaving for church at 6:30, and then sitting around for hours until services actually start.  Which is fine, I get to read and knit and all, but it's not a very relaxing way to spend a weekend.  And the rest of my week is so busy that I cram everything else I want or need to do into Saturday, like bridal showers, overdue coffee-type dates with friends, laundry, and cleaning the house.  All good things, but sometimes I need days with nothing planned.  I used to love having "Nothing Days" because I'd end up getting so much done but still be so relaxed.  I haven't had one in so long!

Today, because I wasn't expecting the day off, I didn't plan a million things to accomplish.  Because it's pouring, I can't really do laundry, either, so my 'to-do list' is significantly shorter.  And because I may be called upstairs to work anytime, I can't choose any huge projects (like clean out the closet, or something). 

Today has been lovely and relaxing - yet productive.  And I'm sure you didn't want as detailed of a description of it as I just gave you, but deal with it, because it's what you get.

When was the last time you had a "Nothing Day"?

Love and Jones Soda,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment