Thursday, December 13, 2012

Cinnamon Chip Oatmeal Cookies

I only recently heard of cinnamon chips.  When I hear cinnamon chips, I think something like a tortilla chip, but coated in cinnamon sugar.  But these are actually like chocolate chips, except they taste like cinnamon.  (My new title is Queen of Obvious Descriptions and Unnecessary Details.)  I thought they sounded fantastic!  I could throw them in banana bread or cookies and give them an extra zing of cinnamon.  So I started looking for them at the store, but none of the stores around here carry them!  Not even the grocery store on the pretentious side of town!  I finally found one bag at our local Family Fare, but it was like $3!  I couldn't imagine paying that much for something for an experiment.  I kind of gave up on it until my mom wondered aloud if I could make my own.


Hello, Pinterest!  I found two recipes (although one is adapted from the other) here and here.  Then, I followed neither recipe!  Just kidding, sort of.  I substituted coconut oil (my first time ever using it!) for the shortening and honey for the corn syrup.  And added no vanilla.

They turned out fabulous, although I'm not sure I could snack on them like one of the ladies said she did.  I apparently do have a cinnamon limit.

Well, then I tossed them into oatmeal cookies, because what could be better?  I'm not sure where my family got this recipe, so I can't take credit for it, but here it is:

3/4 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
Beat until light and fluffy.

1 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Mix and add to batter.

3 cups oats
1 cup raisins (or chocolate chips or cinnamon chips)
Stir in.

Bake at 350 for 12-15 min.

With the addition of the cinnamon chips, these really packed a cinnamon punch, without being overly cinnamon-y.




As you can see, the chips near the edge of the cookie kind of melted out, but my mom said that made them really good, too, almost like a corner of hard candy.

The recipe made a little over a cup, so I still have a few cinnamon chips left, but I'm not sure what to do with those.  Any ideas?  Caleb has suggested cinnamon oatmeal apple cookies.

Love and Cinnamon,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment