Thursday, May 21, 2020

Christmas 2019: Jewelry Boxes

Every Christmas, I make a gift for my aunties (and some of the other women in my life). This year, I decided to make little jewelry boxes from bangle bracelets. (Idea here.)

Because I wanted to make so many of these, I actually purchased the bracelets in bulk from Etsy. I stained some of them, using a bit of leftover stain my dad was throwing away because it was old and chunky. The others I painted with gold acrylic paint. I think the stained ones look prettier. 

I made lids from Sculpey clay, and I had a blast designing all the different lids. These ones were my favorites:


The handles are just little balls of leftover clay. I left some of them unpainted, but the ones that were a real mish-mash of colors, I painted gold.

I also made discs of clay for the bottoms of the containers. Everything got sealed with Sculpey sealer. (I actually tried using a clear gloss spray sealant, but it started eating away at the clay. Yikes!)


Finally, I cut two discs of green felt for each box, one as a no-scratch pad on the bottom, and one inside the box to make it soft.


I'm really pleased with how these turned out. They took a lot of work, but were a fairly inexpensive craft overall.

Love and Glaze,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment