Monday, February 13, 2012

The Monday Rant: Talent vs. Spectacle

This will be a short rant because I'm very sleepy. I am very sleepy because I stayed up until 11:30 last night to watch the Grammys. 11:30 is very very late for me.

I noticed - as it would be impossible not to - a very striking difference between two kinds of performers. The first category includes artists like Katy Perry, Rihanna, and Nicki Minaj. These ladies felt the need to strut/dance around stage while strange men dance around them and fireworks go off. The second category includes artists like Adele and Paul McCartney who stand or sit at a microphone, sing, and are far better than category one.

I am not saying that Katy Perry is or is not talented. I am merely asking why it is necessary to distract so much from the music. Or is it just our culture's desire for more stimulants to trigger the release of more dopamine in our brains?

Then why is it that Adele can do that with just her voice? No blue hair, low-cut top, or fake-exorcism required.

The end.

Love and Zzzzs,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment