Tuesday, February 4, 2014

101 Things in 2014 Update: February 4

I'm sorry for being so unorganized the last couple weeks.  I finally slept last night (cue Hallelujah Chorus) and I'm going to get back on track, but I have very limited material until I actually start projects again, so the rest of this week, you'll get whatever I have on that day with no particular order.  Today, I happen to have a little 101 Things Update with a beverage theme.   :)

26. Pomegranate Lemonade.

The Original:


Mine:


You may notice that mine is significantly darker in color.  This is because I added less water than in the original.  The recipe is confusing because it says it makes 2 quarts of lemonade, but then calls for 2 quarts of water in addition to a cup of lemon juice and 3/4 cup of pomegranate juice.  Well, that's almost an extra 1/2 quart of liquid there, so this recipe actually would make almost 2.5 quarts.  

I made this in a 2 quart container, so I didn't have the option of adding the extra 2 cups of water, but I liked the way this tasted without them and so did Caleb.  However, I've spent the last several years building up an immunity to lemon juice, so it's possible that this would be too strong for some people.  So you decide: if you like weaker lemonade, make this in a bigger container and add more water; if you like stronger lemonade, just add water up to the 2 quart line.  

But it really wasn't too strong in the lemon department; the pomegranate juice makes it sweet enough.

88. Jamba Juice Smoothie

I have a story for you.  Once upon a time, 10.5 years ago, I was visiting Chicago with a group from church.  We had been wandering around the city in the summer heat for hours and we stopped at a Jamba Juice for a late lunch.  They took fresh fruit down from baskets hanging around the counter and prepared everything in front of us. The resulting smoothie was the best thing I have ever tasted.  Was it really that good or were we just exceptionally hungry and tired?  I've tried to find out for so long!

Almost 4 years ago, I was in Boston and I knew that there was a Jamba Juice there, so I went to try it.  Alas, there were no baskets of fresh fruit - the smoothies were made with mixes.  It was in a college cafeteria, so I understood, but I was so disappointed.  The smoothies were fine, but not the amazing quality I had the previous time - and I had just walked around Boston this time.Would I ever know if Jamba Juice is really that delicious?

Okay, drama over, I finally found this pin full of recipes, so I picked one with fairly accessible ingredients and no mangoes: the Pomegranate Pick-Me-Up.  Frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, mixed berry juice, pomegranate juice, and raspberry sherbet (no wonder it tastes so good!).  Well, silly me assumed that this would be a one-serving recipe, so I doubled it.  Okay, that's not actually so silly until you realize that I was making these as a beverage to accompany our chicken dinner.  So we each had a giant 20-ounce smoothie and a very tiny piece of chicken.

But the smoothies were absolutely amazing!


That's all for today, folks, but I hope to be much more thrilling in the future.  Happy Tuesday!

Love and Sleepytime Tea,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment