Wednesday, May 8, 2013

101 Things Update - May 8

Here's this week's update:

17. Scones.  I picked this recipe for lemon scones:

Source: createdby-diane.com via Leah on Pinterest

But then I discovered that I had no lemon extract, so I added way more lemon juice and lemon zest.  But then it was really sticky, so I added more flour.  Anyway, long story short, these scones were certainly edible, but not lemony at all.  The glaze was the only thing that made them taste like lemon scones, which was a disappointment.  I don't think I'll be trying this recipe again, even though I didn't follow it exactly, because it had only the faintest hint of lemon flavor (without the glaze) that I don't think a bit of lemon extract is going to change that.

But they enjoyed posing with my Office Manager Day plant, and soon I can make more scones.



6. Fruit Puree Popsicles.  This is what the original looked like:



Raspberry, Mango, and Kiwi.  But I hate kiwi.  So I substituted strawberry.  More dichromatic, but also more delicious.  Then, as I cut into my first mango, a despicable smell emerged.  Had the mango gone bad?  No, just a nice, ripe mango.  I even tasted it, which is super brave for me, because usually if something smells unpleasant, it will also taste unpleasant.  And it did.  (After leaving it in my mouth for 30 seconds hoping it would get better - again, super brave - I spat it into the trash can, then proceeded to scrape my tongue hoping to get rid of the taste.)  Then Caleb tried it and he liked it.  But I was not putting it in popsicles.  However, I already had the first layer in the freezer and I had to do something, so I made a lemon yogurt blend (lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, and plain yogurt - add stuff until it tastes good) for the middle layer.

Now, I don't know if you've peeked ahead to this picture yet, but these are ginormous popsicles.  That's because I made them in 8 oz. paper cups.  Why?  Because.  That's why.

These were delicious, though not exactly like the original recipe - or even close.  :)  And the lemon layer was the perfect amount of lemony for me, but too strong for Caleb.  I would have liked it as a solo popsicle, but he needed the strawberry and raspberry to tame it.  What can I say?  I've spent the last several years building up an immunity to lemon juice.


And look - green grass!

And finally:

38. Curtains in yellow bedroom.

I can't tell you how excited I was for this project, and now it's done!  Here's a sneak (more than) peek, but I'll share more details tomorrow.  (Also, my apologies for this very grainy picture.  It's very difficult to take a nice picture of a window when the only natural light is coming through the window.)


Love and Turquoise,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment