Thursday, May 30, 2013

Kitchen Cupboards: Part 1

Number 36 on my 101 Things in 2013 list is to organize my kitchen cupboards.  My mom and sister came over to help me work on some house projects, and though they had to leave shortly after we started this one, just that little kick inspired me to finish the whole thing.  There are still a few organizing gadgets I'd love to have eventually, but they're not in the budget right now, and we still have enough room without them. 

So, for the next few days, I'll be taking you through our kitchen cupboards, one section at a time.  Yes, that's right, folks, you get to snoop inside all my cupboards!

Also, in order to make up for not taking before pictures of the awfully organized cupboards ("Throw everything from the 'Kitchen' boxes into a cupboard" may be an efficient moving technique, but is not the best method for organizing.), here's a before-before picture.


Here it is painted a much nicer color, and with new drawer pulls!


There are still boxes on top - I haven't organized that far.  

And inside:


A lot of empty space, I know, but since we plan on having kids eventually, we're okay with empty space now.

On the left, from top to bottom:

Top shelf: kitchen linens.  I'm sure someday we'll use some of our 19 placemats.  I've actually decided that I like using a tablecloth, though, which isn't something I thought I'd ever say not at a picnic.  We have three tablecloths, but I don't think I'll be bringing out the white one very often.  (Have you met us?)  To the very right of this shelf are a few parts to kitchen gadgets that I don't use very often.  (Like the pour spout for our blender that only works if your beverage is as thin as water.)

Middle shelf: kitchen scale and a container that I haven't decided how I want to use yet.  This is also where opened bags/boxes of snacks go, but right now, we don't have any.

Bottom shelf: Saltines, peanut butter, honey, and the butter.  More snacks could go here if we had them.


And on the right:

Top Shelf: Cereal (usually we just have Raisin Bran, but we had guests coming and I wasn't convinced they were as monochromatic in their breakfast choices as we are), oatmeal, syrup, and cookbooks. 

Middle shelf: Aprons and ice cube trays (and ice cubes - the reusable kind)

Bottom shelf: paper and plastic-ware, including straws.


On the counter:


No, our toaster oven doesn't get any cleaner than that.  (And where has the infamous chore chart gone?  Don't worry, he'll be back.  He's just been moved to a more prime location.)  And check out my new ring holder!  I wanted one for the kitchen for when I'm cooking, and I had a little strip of leftover fabric from my curtains, so....


Below the counter are two drawers.  On the right:

Containers for lightbulbs, batteries, rubber bands, and tape - typical junk drawer stuff, but corralled.  Then our clips, some various spatula-type things, sharp kitchen tools, etc.


Both drawers are lined with liner from the Dollar Tree.  The rolls are pretty small, so I would say I probably got about 1 drawer from each roll.  I had to tape it down, though, so it wouldn't scrunch up.

Left drawer: measuring cups/spoons, funnel, rolling pin, and more spatulas and whisks.


Below that are two big cupboards.  On the left: Apple peeler/corer/slicer (yes, Mom, I am aware that when we have children this will need to be moved up), salad spinner, and plastic containers.


On the right: Beans, rice, pasta, unopened canned goods, and Caleb's powdered shake stuff.


Stay tuned for more exciting kitchen updates - including our silverware!  ;)

Love and Salsa,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment