Thursday, December 15, 2011

Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark

Here's the recipe I didn't really like, but Caleb did like, and I probably only didn't like it because homemade caramel doesn't sit well in my stomach.


I quartered the recipe because I didn't want to make an entire batch if it wasn't going to turn out well. It did turn out well, but I'm still glad I quartered it. I didn't have any sea salt, so I sprinkled a pinch of regular salt on half of it and left the other half without salt. I honestly didn't notice any taste difference. The pretzels already add the saltiness.

The recipe is fairly easy as long as you watch your butter and brown sugar closely when making the caramel. I had to remove the pan from the heat a few times to ensure no boiling or burning.

Well, if you like homemade caramel, and you like sweet and salty mixes, you'll probably like this. If you try it, leave a comment and let me know if you like it or not!

Love and Salt,
Leah Joy

2 comments:

  1. Auntie Joanne has a recipe for this that is very similar, but does not use homemade caramel. For her's, you center a Rolo on each checkerboard pretzel, and heat in the oven until they melt a bit. While the Rolo is still melty, place a red or green M&M on top, for a festive touch. Yummola!! Maybe this version would sit better in your tummy. :-)
    I'm off to bake birthday banket for Jamie!
    Love, AR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! I've made those and loved them! I guess I didn't think about how similar these recipes are - it just seemed so cool to make my own caramel! I'll definitely be going with Rolos in the future!

    And Caleb's family does something similar with O pretzels. Place a Hershey's kiss inside each O pretzel on a baking sheet and stick in the oven until they're a bit melty. Then press a Reese's Piece on top of each one. Pressing the Reese's Piece in makes the chocolate spread out to the whole O, holding it all together.

    ReplyDelete