Wednesday, October 26, 2011

This Really Dumb Idea I Had Once

So, when I was in college, I had to give a junior and senior recital. One of these was a half-hour long, the other an hour. During the planning process - okay, way before that needed to start - I decided to plan my own theme. Instead of just singing songs I had been studying and was good at, I would have a theme that strung them all together. Here are some of my "best" themes.

Stars, Moon, and the Tide
In this theme, of course the moon and the stars are related to each other. And then the moon and the tide, naturally. I think I really just wanted to sing "Moon River", "Fly Me to the Moon", "Cry Me a River", and "Preguntale a Las Estrellas" all in the same recital. I never got much further than this, because my teacher (thankfully) nixed it.

Songs That Shaped Me
At first look-see, this one doesn't sound so bad. I sing songs that I've listened to for a long time - songs that have shaped my musical upbringing. But when you realize that this means I'd be singing '80s CCM (and my mom only listened to male artists, too, for some reason) and '90s boy band pop - this idea isn't so great.

Here's my favorite idea, though:
Rainbow Songs
I'd have a song for every color of the rainbow. I actually searched my iTunes collection and the Internet to find a song for every color. I figured even if I didn't know the song, I could learn it. Even if it didn't flatter my voice, the theme would make up for it. Here's my set list:
"Red Letters" - dcTalk
"Orange Colored Sky"
"Yellow" - Coldplay
"The Color Green" - Rich Mullins
"Blue Skies"
"Purple Rain" - Prince (this may be the real reason I never did this set)
"Black Velvet"
"Brown-Eyed Girl"
"The Coloring Song" - Petra

I'm still not sure what compelled me to want to sing Prince or Petra.

In case you were wondering, I did end up singing songs that flattered my voice, and I actually did get to sing the first three of the Stars, Moon, and Tide set at my senior recital. I just didn't call it that. And I sang "Orange Colored Sky" at my junior recital.

Love and Colors,
LeahJoy

P.S. A few of you have mentioned that you can't comment. I've tried changing the settings, but they've been set (and are now) to let anyone comment. If you still can't comment, let me know and I'll email Blogger. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment