Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chocolate-Chip ... Scones!

This is my final week posting about scones (for now) and I've saved a very delicious (and questionably nutritious) recipe for this week. Chocolate Chip Scones - of the drop scone family.

Here are your ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter
1/4 cup and 2 T sugar
3 eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Yes, really. 2 sticks of butter. And this recipe makes 12 scones.

First mix your flour and baking powder in a bowl.
In another bowl, beat the butter until it is creamy. Add the sugar to the butter and beat for about 3-5 minutes until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
Now add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each.
Scrape the bowl, turn your speed down to low, and add the flour mix. Only mix until it's blended.
Scrape the bowl again, then add the buttermilk. Again, only mix until it's blended.
Sprinkle chocolate chips over the batter and fold in.

Scoop 1/3 cupfuls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet - place about 2 inches apart.
Loosely cover the pan with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 45 minutes.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Uncover scones and bake for 15 minutes. Turn heat down to 325 degrees and bake 13 minutes longer. The scones should be pale golden brown.

Cool uncovered on a wire rack.

----

Instead of buttermilk, I used plain yogurt, but other than that, I followed the recipe to the letter. These things are addicting. I made them one evening when my family was out and about and I ended up eating probably 5 of them. I felt disgusting, but they're so tasty! They're like big, fluffy cookies!

If I make them again, I'll probably add more chocolate chips. I felt that the ratio of chips to dough wasn't high enough.

I love the part where you turn down the heat, though. I'd never seen that before in a recipe, but I guess it makes the outsides a little harder than the insides - which is often what you want on scones.

Well, I won't keep you any longer. Go forth and bake!

Love and Chocolate (wait - aren't those the same word?),
LeahJoy

No comments:

Post a Comment