Friday, November 2, 2012

Natural Air Freshener

If you missed the Internet exploding yesterday, first watch this video:



Secondly, I wanted to share a fun craft with you.  I found it first on Saving Addiction, a West Michigan based website that updates its readers on the best deals in the area.  They also feature a sort-of-weekly DIY project, with most of them being natural or homemade cleaners, lotions, and things of that sort.  Recently, they featured a natural air freshener.  I adjusted the tutorial a little bit, and made it a bit cuter, because that's how I roll (actually, it's not, but it made good sense here, and that's how I roll).

You'll need:

  • Small jar - preferably a short-but-wide one rather than a tall-but-skinny one
  • Cardstock
  • baking soda
  • essential oils
  • scissors
  • needle or other poky thing
  • stamp pad + stamp (optional)
  • ribbon (optional)

Start by taking the lid off the jar, and tracing the top of the jar on the cardstock.  Cut out your circle.  Stamp your design onto the circle.  Remember that the edges will get covered by the jar lid, so place accordingly.



I used my mom's Stampin' Up markers, which allow you to draw on the stamp with multiple colors, then you just breathe a breath of hot air on it, and stamp.  I'm sure you can do this with other markers, too. This design (as you can see) just fit inside the rings, and the first time, I placed it too high so the top of the tree got cut off.  So be careful.

Now, place about 1/2 cup of baking soda in the jar.  It does not need to be perfect.  Add 10 or more drops of essential oils, depending on how strongly you'd like it to smell.  Put the cardstock circle in the lid and place on the jar.  Poke lots of holes in the cardstock.  I used a seam ripper, as it's easy to hold and poked nicely sized holes.  Tie a ribbon around for added cuteness - or in our case, to let you know the scent.  Purple is the lavender one (that I keep by my bed) and the yellow ones are lemon.  



Aren't they so cute?  For a while, I thought they wouldn't make great gifts, because I thought you had to shake it up every time you wanted a whiff, but I can definitely smell the lavender one by my bed, and it's wonderful!


Eeep!  So cute!!

Today, I'm having a "Domestic Friday".  Laugh if you will, but if I don't make it a holiday or something interesting, it won't get done, so I need to call it something.  I have tons of cleaning, baking, and handicrafts to complete today.  :)  So here I go!

Love and Domestic Felicity,
Leah Joy

==========

UPDATE (December 5):  The scent seems to last for about 3-4 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment