Wednesday, March 6, 2013

101 Things Update - March 6

I must admit that I didn't do a lot of my 101 Things this week.  As I mentioned yesterday, I spent most of the week wallowing around in sweat pants.  However, near the end of the week I got my act together, put on my big girl pants, and managed to make these two recipes.  One was a keeper with a few adjustments, the other one can go far, far away and never come back.  

55. White Chicken Chili.  I chose this recipe from AllRecipes.com.  I tweaked it a tiny little bit, but next time I'll tweak it more.  I'll share more tomorrow about the changes I made and what I'd do differently next time.  Bottom line, though, is that Caleb loved it, I thought it was pretty good, and when we get a can opener, it'll be far easier.


81. Strawberry Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie, also from AllRecipes.com.  Here's the original:



Here's mine:


I actually doubled the recipe because we were having it for lunch and I wanted it to be more filling.  Like every reviewer suggested, I put the rolled oats into my blender first and ground them for a bit.  I didn't want to have to chew my smoothie.  Since I doubled it, my strawberries and bananas were half fresh and half frozen, based on what I had available.  I did add the optional vanilla, but used honey instead of sugar.

The flavor was fine, not as great or kickin' as some smoothies, but good.  The texture, however, made us cringe with almost every sip.  I don't know if I should have let the oatmeal soak a bit, or use quick oats so they'd get moist quicker, but I got dozens of oatmeal bits stuck in my teeth in every gulp I took.  Drinking this felt like a chore.  About halfway through, Caleb discovered that if you eat a pretzel after every couple sips, it's more tolerable.  I don't know why, but it worked.  Regardless, I probably won't be making these again.  

I will say, though, that the oatmeal (and the milk base - I usually use fruit juice) helped it be more filling.  If I drink a smoothie for lunch, I'm usually hungry again in 2 hours, but I wasn't with this one.

Love and Strawberries,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment