Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Lemon Ice Cups

I am so excited about today's installment of Lemon Week!  Do you know those Luigi's Lemon Ice things that you get at the baseball games in the summer?  You know the ones where it's awesome, but then you have to sit through a whole baseball game in return for eating this wonderful treat?  (Turns out you can also just get them at the grocery store... Hm, who knew?)  WE MADE THEM.  AT HOME.  IN LEMONS.  How cool is that?  (Obviously, I think it's very cool.  How often do I use all capital letters?)

I found the recipe here.  These are also Number 46 on my 101 Things in 2013 list.

Chloe and I first juiced lots of lemons:


Then she got mad at me for taking pictures instead of working.


Just kidding, we're still friends!


We took the lemon halves, and used knives to get the pith out.  (The original recipe suggest grapefruit spoons, but Caleb and I have only been married a year and a half, and our parents haven't run out of gift ideas yet for Christmas and birthdays, so we don't have any grapefruit spoons.)  When you do this, don't be afraid to dig into the side of the lemon a bit to get the pith out.  There's more there than I thought there'd be.  Also, we'd recommend cutting the bottom to get it flat before you go through the effort of cutting the pith out, just in case you cut too much off the bottom and ruin the entire idea of a cup (you know, the basics, like 'no holes in the bottom').

While I was working on this step, Chloe was still juicing, but at one point she stopped and asked, "Do you need help shaving your lemons?"  Yes, it kind of feels like you're shaving the inside of a lemon.

The lemon ice mixture was the simplest thing to mix up.  Then, I just poured it in the cups and put them in the freezer.  So delicious.  And cute.


Another idea: if you didn't want to put them in lemon halves, you could save and wash some yogurt containers.  That would be quick, easy, and easier to put in the freezer.

Love and Frozen Hands,
Leah Joy

P.S.  If you're as crazy about lemon as I am, you might want to leave a little bit of the water out.  I mean, it's fantastic, but with a little less water it'd have even more of a kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment