Thursday, March 28, 2013

Homemade Pop-Tarts!

When I first saw this pin, I got pretty excited:



I mean, I really like Pop-Tarts.  There have been several years in my life where I would buy a box of Pop-Tarts to stash in my room and eat when I wanted a snack.  (This probably explains a lot of my health problems, actually.)  I'm not sure if I liked them because they were an easy snack, good-tasting, or because my dad hated them and declared them contraband.

I haven't had a Pop-Tart in a couple years, which is probably really good for me, but when you make them yourself, they're almost healthy, right?

I followed the recipe from the pin except that I used homemade pie crust (see below for recipe) and homemade strawberry jam.  To make it even more healthy.


And then I covered them in a powdered sugar glaze and "sprinkled" sugar on top.


These were a great snack.  If you try to make them, here are a few tips:

1. You really have to search in the original recipe for the size she makes them: it's 2" x 3".  Yes, that's tiny.  But if you're only using 1 tsp of jam, that's the size you want.  You can see I didn't stick to the same size for all of them.  I tried a few sizes, adding more or less jam as the size dictated.
2. Use your pizza cutter to cut out the rectangles.  Make your life easier.  It's the rotary cutter of food.  

Also, as you can see, I didn't squinch all my edges together too well.  This made the bigger ones fall apart much more easily, causing them to be eaten more in the manner of a delicate sandwich.  Therefore, if you're making these to eat in the car on the way to work, be much more careful about sealing your edges.  If you're going to eat them at your kitchen table, who cares?  They still taste the same!

Love and Sugar,
Leah Joy

P.S.  Homemade Pie Crust:
1 cup flour
1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon room temperature butter
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix until evenly flaky throughout (I use my mixer), then add 2 Tablespoons cold water.  This should cause it all to ball up.  If you use room temperature butter, this should make a very easy to handle pie crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment