Monday, January 21, 2013

Final Christmas Round-Up

It's the final round-up.  I've covered all the big projects (of which I took pictures) and I just wanted to share with you a few last gifts.  The first is a hat I made for one of my baby nieces.  I made the hat based on this pattern (XS), the rose here, and the leaf was rather free-form crochet.




I wrapped it up in a graham cracker box, then wrapped the box like this:


Not the cutest paper for a baby girl, but it's what I had. :)

Her mom got the 11th Hour Scarf, wrapped up like this:


The lid and box were wrapped separately for fun, and because I knew Renee was one of the only people who would appreciate a nice wrapping job. 

One friend got this bracelet:


I followed the instructions here, using a split ring wrapped with black waxed linen cord as the base.  I used standard white thread for the catcher, and it was very helpful to have it threaded on a needle for the smaller bits.  I did put a bead on, as you can see, but I might leave it off if I make another.


The waxed linen was a little stiff and uncomfortable to use for the bracelet, so I attached black embroidery floss instead, and use a standard half-hitch knot.


I attached a button at one end and made a loop at the other.  I stiffened the loop with Elmer's glue to keep all the strands together.

For my mom, I made a homemade spa basket.  I searched Pinterest for months, trying various scrubs to find the perfect one.  Finally, I settled on the following recipes:  Peppermint Foot Soak (just Epsom salts and peppermint essential oil.  I didn't have any of that, so I used peppermint extract.), Cinnamon Oatmeal Milk Bath, Cinnamon SoakLavender Bath Salts (which also went to my aunties) (I also made some this way, but the lavender made them look infested), and a Brown Sugar Scrub (1/2 cup [or more] ground oatmeal, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 almond oil, at least 1 tsp of vanilla [I added more, but I also used imitation vanilla]).

I made the first three in one night, and here's the mess I made!  :)



Each recipe made enough for one 12 oz jar and one 4 oz jar.  My mom got the big jars (along with a purple bath pouf) in a fancy (Dollar Tree) basket.  The little ones went in with gifts for some of my friends.


Finally, some people just don't appreciate homemade gifts.  That's when they (he) get(s) this: 


And some people have everything in the world - they're impossible to buy for and to make for.  This is my solution: 


(Except when I eat half of them before Christmas and have to buy more.  Note to self: wrap them right away next year!)

Love and Cadbury,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment