Thursday, April 18, 2013

Scarves from Pants!

Yes, you read that correctly.

I found this tutorial on Pinterest, and mostly followed it to make some scarves.

This was also #51 on my 101 Things in 2013 list.




We did do a few things differently from the tutorial, and I'll try to explain it here.

First of all, we just went out to Salvation Army to purchase the pants, and all the men's pajama pants were either not flannel or really ugly.  And we really wanted actual flannel (which is actually not synonymous with plaid, contrary to popular belief), because we wanted them to be super soft and warm.  So we found these two cute pairs in the women's department, but they weren't as long.  Mine was the shorter pair of the two, and was actually too short to make into an infinity scarf.  But that's okay, because I like straight scarves better anyway.


Chloe's, however, I could make into an infinity scarf.  When I got to the part where I made it into a loop, I was a bit confused by the original directions.  I couldn't figure out why I need to fold over the end if I already had the factory finished edge.  But I guess she didn't save that part in the original tutorial.  Anyway, after breaking two sewing machine needles (even after not folding over the one edge), I decided to hand stitch through the whole thing.  Not the neatest job, but once it's on, you can hardly tell.



The next time I brought my camera, I asked Chloe if she'd let me take a picture of us in our matching scarves, and she said yes, but figured I'd want her to change her shirt, since it was a clashing plaid.  Then I realized I wore a clashing plaid, too, so we decided to flaunt our four clashing plaids for your amusement:


Isn't she the cutest?

Her shirt was 69-cents at a Salvation Army Super Saturday sale!
Love and Pants,
Leah Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment