Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sweater Legwarmers

I had so much fun taking pictures of these that I couldn't just post the one for the 101 Things Update. 


I didn't take any pictures of the process of making these legwarmers, so I'll do my best to describe the process.  Once I had the arms cut off the sweater (below the seam, so with raw edges on the sleeves), I cut down the arm (or is it a leg now?) about 4-5 inches on one side of the seam.  I then folded the top edge and the edge of the unfinished side over a bit and used a zig-zag stitch on the sewing machine to fasten them.  That way they can't unravel anymore.  I then put the legwarmers on my legs and figured out where I wanted the snaps to go. I used two sets of snaps at the top of each leg, so there's a keyhole effect.  Under my jeans, you can hardly tell, and over leggings, it just looks decorative.  Not that you can see it well in any of these pictures.


Despite being frugal and thrifty my whole life, it never ceases to thrill me when I make something I love for practically nothing but my time.  My mom was going to donate the sweater (but she originally purchased it from the thrift store, anyway), so that was free.  We didn't even waste the rest of the sweater, because Chloe made a scarf from it.  My mom had a whole bunch of snaps sitting around waiting to be used, and the little bit of thread I used is almost a negligible cost.  And even for time, they probably only took me about a half hour (and that's only because snaps are tricksy little devils).

And they complement my orange slippers.

Love and Gypsies,
Leah Joy

1 comment: